Beatpaths was really fun during the entire 2005 NFL Season, but there’s been one niggling issue that I’ve been trying to figure out how to address for the start of the 2006 NFL Season.
The beatpaths graphs don’t really make a lot of sense until each team has a few games under their belts so you can really see how things start to inter-relate.
So the question becomes, how to get meaningful graphs for the first few weeks of the season?
- Start with the full 2005 season, just adding the 2006 results in until week 4 or 5 or so, at which point 2005 gets removed.
- Start with the full 2005 season, but phase out 1/4 of the games for each of the first four weeks
- Start with the 2006 preseason but phase them out quickly
- Something more advanced where a 2006 game outcome would somehow cancel out “all similar games” from 2005 (common opponents, etc).
- Do nothing and just start fresh with 2006 and let things get interesting over time.